On May 24, My husband and I had just arrived at Virginia Beach. We opened the shades to see the beautiful ocean. I turned around and started unpacking. When I looked back, I saw a scene I had never seen before. It was a super cell with winds of 78 mph. As I looked at the ocean it seemed the waves were going in two opposite directions at the same time. Some waves coming towards us, others receding. Those receding disappeared into the air like foam. A minute later, there were people running, police cars alerting people to get out of the beach. Chairs, flags and towels were swirling in the air. The sand was flying like in the desert movies. A black cloud was moving in slowly. I run to grab my camera, but the wind made our hotel rattle and shake. I got scared. No matter how scared I was the fascination was stronger. I couldn't stop going to the window to look at the scene. It is a pity I have not filmed those moments. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. It feels like being in a dream, a surreal experience. Everything happens so fast and when it is gone it is as if it had never happened.
I have always wondered how come people have the courage to follow and film hurricanes. Now I know.
No comments:
Post a Comment