Saturday, July 16, 2011
Morning Thoughts: Feelings and Painting
People usually ask me how do I create my works. Because my work is based on emotions, it is difficult to explain it; but I will try. Look at the image above. The night before this drawing, I watched a movie called Australia. In it a little boy grieves his mother's death by looking for solitude in the desert. He is by himself and it is late night. I felt a tremendous desire to hold that boy, to protect and to comfort him. Of course, I could not do that.
The following day, as I started my work, the first thing I placed on the paper was the butterflies. Then, I was led to draw the subsequent images without really knowing what I was drawing. Until the drawing was completed, I did not have a full view of my design or the intention to paint it. Once it was created, I realized that the drawing was my way of expressing the feelings I had in the previous night. The butterflies were my way of protecting the little boy, of telling him that somewhere out there, there was hope. That there was light in the sky and that he wasn't alone. The drawing allowed me to express those feelings, and somehow I felt he was forever protected in my heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment